Launched in June 13th, 2016 this Unit offers the following tests and procedures:
- Prolonged video EEG monitoring in the setting of pediatric and adult epilepsies with possibility of continuous recording over several days. This appears to be very helpful in the appropriate diagnosis of epilepsies mostly those cases that can be candidate to epilepsy surgery or other therapeutic modalities.
- Regular video EEG recordings with special protocols for neonatal, pediatric and adult population.
- Overnight polysomnography with video monitoring for patients with sleep disturbances including sleep apnea syndrome and periodic limbs movements.
These above mentioned tests are performed with a “state of the art” machine, the only one in Lebanon with 128 channels.
It should be mentioned that epilepsy patients admitted to our Unit can benefit from special neuropsychological tests, and nutrition consultation for those who are candidate for ketogenic diet therapy.
- Electroneuromyography (ENMG) with very special tests including in addition to the basic tests, quantitative EMG analysis, single fiber EMG, facial nerves studies, phrenic nerves studies and studies of the autonomic nervous system including the skin sympathetic response.
- Botulinum toxin injection under EMG guidance for pediatric and adult cases of dystonia and spasticity (and certainly headache).
- Visually evoked potentials for the study of the visual pathways. These can be afforded with checkerboard or goggles stimulation (allowing pediatric testing).
- Brain auditory evoked potentials BAEP with the possibility to study central hearing pathways and to give very accurate objective hearing level. This can be done in all age groups including premature infants.
- Somatosensory evoked potentials SSEP studying neuronal pathways from the periphery through the spinal cord and going up to the brain. Intra operative monitoring during spine surgery is available and can be done easily with our new machine.
The Clinical Neurophysiology Unit constitutes a major evolution and help improving our daily clinical practices. For appointments, please contact the Neurophysiology Unit - tel: 01 590000 ext: 1331