At the Lebanese Hospital Geitaoui-UMC Pharmacy Department, our mission is to provide high quality pharmaceutical care to more than 170 patients each day, and to monitor the safe, appropriate, evidence-based and optimal use of medications across the inpatient continuum of care.
Our staff include pharmacists, pharmaceutical technicians, pharmacy interns, clerical support, and porters.
We prepare medications in unit doses form and on a patient basis, and medication is dispensed after being verified through a bar coding system, to ensure maximum safety for our patients.
The Pharmacy Department participates in a number of Hospital groups and committees, including the Drugs and Therapeutics Committee and the Infection Control Committee.
The Department also manages an internship program in collaboration with various Universities, for the training of Pharmacy students.
The daily activities of our pharmacists include:
- Checking prescriptions to make sure there are no errors and that they're appropriate and safe for the individual patient;
- Providing advice on the dosage of medicines and the most appropriate form of medication, for example, tablet, injection, ointment or inhaler;
- Liaising with other medical staff on problems patients may experience when taking their medicines;
- Making sure medicines are stored appropriately and securely;
- Ensuring the purchasing of medications and the appropriate management of stocks;
- Supervising the work of the pharmacy staff;
- Update guidelines for drug use within the hospital in collaboration with other professionals, and control their implementation;
- Supervising the training program of pharmacy interns.